When we hear about the most powerful city of the ancient world what comes first in your mind? Think.
Rome, Germany, France, Russia, America etc. Right? As a matter of fact, everyone knows something or the other about the thing that comes or is first. But no one actually remembers the city, person, etc that comes second. It’s human tendency.
But let me tell you the fact. Sometimes the thing that comes second shines more or is better than the first. Yes, we are talking about the second most powerful city of the ancient world after Rome. It is Alexandria, Egypt.
In this blog, you will get familiar with the city of Alexandria.
Who founded Alexandria?
As the name suggests, the city of Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great in 331 BC.
Where is it located?
Located on the Mediterranean Sea, it is the largest city in northern Egypt. It is also the largest seaport in Egypt.
Places to see in Alexandria
- Citadel of Qaitbay: It is the ultimate icon of the city which overlooks the sea and the city itself. However, it was made to protect the city from the attackers that attacked the city. Also, you will be surprised to know that it is made on the exact site of the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria. Now the fort is converted into a museum.
- Cemetery of Mostafa Kamel: It is the cemetery of the largest political legends of Egypt. Surprisingly, the cemetery has four beautifully decorated tombs since the second century.
- Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa: The most famous catacombs (underground cemetery) of Kom El Shoqafa are a site you should never miss. Moreover, it is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the middle Ages.
Furthermore, other historical sites include Pompey’s Pillar, Montazah Palace, and Roman Theatre.
- Alexandria National Museum
- Graeco-Roman Museum
- Museum of Fine Arts
- El- Mursi Abul-Abbas Mosque
- Attarine Mosque
Fun Activities to Do
Besides sightseeing, there are a lot of fun activities that you will definitely enjoy. Here’s a list of the few:
- Sunbathing: Enjoy sunbathe at Montazah or Maa’moura Beach.
- Go Cruising: You can hire a boat and enjoy cruising at Ras el-Tin.
- Watch movies: Believe me, if you just want to sit and relax, then go watch movies. There are theatres all over the city. However, Al-Amirate Cinema, Royal Alexandria, Cineplex Green Plaza Cinema are some famous theatres.
- Swimming: Enjoy swimming in the Country Club or Lagoon Resort.
Beautiful beaches, clear waters, fun activities to do, historical sites, delicious food Alexandria has everything that you find at a destination. So, go and book your flights to take a glimpse of the wonderful Egypt!
How to Reach: Borg el Arab Airport is the main airport of Alexandria.
What to Expect: Lovely beaches, warm weather, amazing sites, delicious food and much more.
Weather: The weather is generally warm. So, your travel clothing should be light and comfortable.
Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)